I was having some conversations with some of my teammates about food cravings and it got me thinking. How did I get past the food cravings and take control of my lifestyle? (I don’t call it a diet because I hate that word!!)
Here’s a few things I did that might help.
1. Did multiple rounds of whole30. Only meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, healthy fat for 30 days. NO beans, legumes, sugar, alcohol, dairy, chemicals, grains. Was it hard? Sure. But it was worth it. Definitely. In order to get over my addictions (food and alcohol) I had to!
2. Understand the foods that put me into tailspin. For me chips are a weakness. I could eat a whole big bag. I don’t have them in the house anymore. I get my kids chips I don’t care for. If it’s sweets for you, don’t have them in the house. I don’t even have 1 bite because I know I will get out of control and won’t be able to stop myself. Moderation is not the key for me here. Some people can have one bite and be done but I found out that I cannot.
3. Go easy on the alcohol. Alcohol lowers inhibitions and makes me go ‘ahhh screw it’. And then I can binge eat like a maniac.
4. Get enough sleep. I’ve noticed that when I’m tired I will reach for unhealthy choices.
5. Make sure to eat enough. Eat enough healthy fat like olive oil and avocado and good quality meat. And lots of vegetables. If you are feeding your body with these good foods you don’t even feel deprived. You feel happy and satisfied.
6. Drink a lot of water. I admit this is my weakest link. Bored with plain water? Add fresh mint, lemon slices or cucumber slices. Or drink la Croix. Delicious and changes things up.
7. Focus on NO sugar / NO grains. Make it easy on yourself! I don’t know about you but too many rules makes my brain unhappy and confused. So I still stick to this basic principle. Sugar can be disguised as various words. So check the labels. I think GRAINS is self explanatory but if you are confused think oats, wheat, corn.
8. Have a meal OFF plan once a week. I love pizza. So you better believe I won’t give it up for life. I also love a really good sandwich on crusty French bread. I know that I have that one meal and I get right back on track. Immediately. I have already made up my mind ahead of time so there is no guessing on when I will be back to my regular lifestyle.
What in the world is a FOOD MACGUYVER??
A food MacGuyver is someone who can find something HEALTHFUL to eat in any situation. Food is enjoyable, yes... but we also need it to live a healthy lifestyle. Want to get my 5 food hacks to become a FOOD MacGuyver? Enter your information and click on the button to get your FREE eBook!