“Perfectionism is a self destructive and addictive belief system that fuels this primary thought: if I look perfect and do everything perfectly, I can avoid or minimize the painful feelings of shame, judgement and blame.” -Brene Brown
Life is crazy isn’t it? We put so much pressure on ourselves…
The pressure to:
- Be a certain way
- To look a certain way
- Have your house spotlessly clean
- Have all the laundry washed, folded and put away
- Have the kids perfectly dressed, clean, happy, well-mannered, and activity-goin’
- To have a perfectly manicured lawn
- Experience the most fabulous summer vacations
- Rock it at an awesome job and still have dinner on the table at 530 PM for the family
- Organize perfectly romantic evenings with your partner
- Volunteer for every community service opportunity that needs your help
- Be effortlessly happy all day, every day
The truth is we are all just doing our best.
So I am quitting….. Instead of focusing on all the things I have on my To-Do list and then beating the crap out of myself mentally when I haven’t gotten them all done, I am going to give myself some grace and self-compassion. I hope you will too.
I am also going to ask myself everyday: “Does this matter in the big picture?” Sometimes we get so wrapped up in the little things and forget what is most important. Spending time with people we love matters. The dirty dishes, not so much.
What in the world is a FOOD MACGUYVER??
A food MacGuyver is someone who can find something HEALTHFUL to eat in any situation. Food is enjoyable, yes... but we also need it to live a healthy lifestyle. Want to get my 5 food hacks to become a FOOD MacGuyver? Enter your information and click on the button to get your FREE eBook!