I have heard the following excuses again and again:
- I am not losing weight fast enough
- I have really bad cravings for junk food
- I hate thinking about all the things I have to do to lose weight
- It is too hard to lose weight
- I cannot stay motivated
- I am too busy to meal prep
- I am too busy to workout
- My family doesn’t support me
- I’m too lazy
- My family needs me so I cannot take care of myself
The truth is you cannot afford to NOT take care of yourself.
If you are taking the time to take care of yourself through food and fitness you will be happier and you will be BETTER able to take care of all of the people in your life. And listen, it does not need to be complicated! In fact, it will be even MORE simple.
Here are 5 steps you can take starting today to improve your health, energy and quality of life.
- Start with FOOD. This is the best place to start. Focus on having only vegetables, healthy fats and moderate protein. Don’t try to be sneaky and add anything else to this list like processed foods for a side dish, crackers with your cheese or eggs PLUS a donut / pastry for breakfast. I talk about food the MOST in my online group because it is the most important. You can exercise for 3 hours a day but if you are not watching what you are eating, you are sabotaging all your efforts and hard work. This is so simple once you get the hang of it and you will NOT be hungry or have food cravings if you eat this way. Here are some examples of my meals:
- Beverages of choice. You’re probably wondering what kind of beverages you should drink and what you should avoid. Stay away from all pop (even diet), flavored drinks, juice (unless you’re juicing your own and only in moderation), fancy flavored coffee drinks from Starbucks and Caribou, muscle milk, sweetened tea, vitamin water, gatorade, crystal light, energy drinks, sparkling ICE, naked juice, koolaid, and sunny D to name a few. Instead choose the following: coffee (black or with nutpods or heavy whipping cream), tea (unsweetened), coconut water (check the label for no sugar added), mineral or sparkling water (unsweetened, like Perrier or La Croix), water with a couple drops of essential oils (make sure you get the best quality and use a glass cup, not plastic), fruit or herb infused water (make your own), kombucha (check the label’s list of ingredients for no sugar added), unsweetened cashew, coconut or almond milk, and regular plain old WATER.
- Just move. Find an exercise you like to do and start out small. Workout for only 10 minutes if you have to and then slowly increase up to an hour. You don’t need to kill yourself working out for hours every day.
- Write down your goals. It is simply not enough to say “I want to lose weight”. That is not a clear enough goal as to WHY and WHAT you want. And actually, people who start with this as their ultimate goal will usually quit. You should be very clear and specific on this and it should be your STRONG, EMOTIONAL WHY. Write it down, read it every day. An example: “I want to make whole/real food choices for every meal this week and workout for 30 minutes 6 days this week so that I can get off of my diabetes medication. My kids need me around for a long time.”
- Get a buddy. Having support will increase your chances of staying on track because you don’t want to let your buddy down! Tell your buddy your goals and ask them to check in with you. The majority of people cannot do this alone. I will also include in this point that you should talk to your family about your plans so they can support you and give you the time you need in order to take care of YOU!
It doesn’t have to be complicated or boring and you don’t need to choke down nasty tasting food. I promise!
The community that I’ve created of people that are on this exact same journey were the missing piece to the puzzle for me and many others. If you want to join us so you are not alone you can go HERE.
What in the world is a FOOD MACGUYVER??
A food MacGuyver is someone who can find something HEALTHFUL to eat in any situation. Food is enjoyable, yes... but we also need it to live a healthy lifestyle. Want to get my 5 food hacks to become a FOOD MacGuyver? Enter your information and click on the button to get your FREE eBook!